Thursday, August 8, 2013

Veggie Frittata Breakfast!

 
After getting lots of good feedback on my Veggie Frittata breakfast instagram pic, I’ve decided I must share the recipe with you. As you know, my mornings are pretty packed. After a workout of some sort, I prepare breakfast, snacks and lunch (more days than not), get myself ready for work, and get distracted by a number of other things before heading off to work. My meal prep time is quite limited, but I’ve pretty much got it down to a science. This veggie frittata is something I make every now and then for a number of reasons – it requires very little prep along with very little brainwork, uses up any veggies in the fridge, also healthy because you can jam in SO many veggies. It can serve as not just breakfast but also as a snack, lunch, or even dinner. It’s pretty similar to the  Green Veggie Egg Cups in that you can easily switch up ingredients to give it a different flavor.

Hands on Prep time: 5 minutes or less – Chop veggies in advance to cut down on time
Bake time: 25-30 minutes
Servings: 8

For this version, I used almost all of the same ingredients as I did for my Enchilada Stack dinner a few nights ago.
 

Here’s what you need: (This is another instance where you don’t need exact measurements….throw in what you have!)
10 eggs
½ jalapeño
3 mini bell peppers
¼ onion
2 handfuls fresh spinach
½ can black beans
4 button mushrooms
Spices: salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder
 
Here’s what you do:
Preheat oven to 350
Chop veggies (shred the spinach a little by hand)
Grease a cast iron skillet (I used Earth Balance to do this)
Break eggs into the skillet and beat
Add in all the vegetables and mix well using a fork
Top with generous amounts of fresh pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt. I normally add in a generous amount of nutritional yeast, but I happen to be out at the time. Add a couple tablespoons of that if you have it!
 
*Optional – Top with cheese. I didn’t, but cheese will definitely make this super tasty…just don’t add too much so that you can keep it on the healthy side. Of course, if you can do without, do without, or use a vegan/nondairy alternative.

Bake for 30 minutes. Since mine had so many ingredients, it required all 30 minutes. Check it around 15 minutes to prevent overcooking. You can tell it’s done by sticking a knife through the center and ensuring it comes out clean. 30 minutes browned mine perfectly. Use a butter knife to loosen around all the edges, then cut into 8 slices. **Update - Lately I've been making frittatas with less ingredients - eggs, spinach, broccoli - and it only takes about 17 minutes. Definitely keep checking on the progress...nothing worse than overdone eggs!

I topped mine with a little extra fresh ground salt and pepper before serving.

If you want this for lunch or dinner I recommend pairing with a salad, or topping with salsa and avocado. Or both!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment