Friday, April 5, 2013

Blender Explosion & Green Berry Twist Smoothie Recipe

 Yesterday morning I got up at the normal, before the sun comes out time, and off to the gym I went. I had an awesome workout - a run followed by my standard legs routine with extra squats. As I walked home I found myself gravitating toward the corner store - which happens much too frequently (the cashier knows my name) to pick up some extra items for my green smoothie. This week I decided to cut down on my spinach intake (I was up to a pack a day) and switch it out for kale (meh). I've also been craving zucchini so I wanted to throw some of that in as well. I grabbed a few different raw vegetables to get us through the next couple days (vacation starts Tuesday!), and raced home to prepare a new-ish recipe.

As I've mentioned before, my favorite smoothies have a berry, peanut butter flavor. I do use different fruits all the time (kiwi, mango, pineapple, apple, mandarins), but my staple drink is berries, banana, nut butter and I mix it up with greens, veggies, and superfood add ins. So yesterday I chopped everything up then plopped it all into my blender just like I do every day...

Here's what you need:
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup coconut water
1/2 banana
1/2 cup kale
3/4 cup sliced zucchini
1 celery stalk chopped
1 cup frozen berries with extra strawberries
1 kiwi
1 tbsp almond butter
drizzle of agave
goji berries (for the topping!)
optional ingredients for post workout:
1 tbsp flaxseed oil
1 tbsp hemp hearts
1/2 scoop spiru-tein

Here's what you do:
First blend the liquids and vegetables
Add fruits & a few ice cubes (4-5) and agave
Then nut butter and other add ins

  About 2 seconds into the blending, frozen berries starting flying out of my machine - luckily away from my face so no injury occurred. I turned it off immediately and checked the spout to make sure it was closed tightly, and it was. Then I realized the side of the blender that was facing the wall had a giant hole. A fist sized hole. I was furious. Delicious ingredients -wasted. Time - wasted. Blender - wasted. Luckily Louis was home to talk me out of my bad mood and help with the clean up. He also salvaged the ingredients and stored them in a tupperware for later.

When I got to work I decided I must replace the blender immediately, so I asked a friend about her Vitamix - knowing it was going to be out of my price range. She gave it amazing reviews and I decided I should invest in at least some model of the Vitamix. Then I realized they carried them at Sur La Table - the store we registered at for our wedding and that I just happened to have a gift card for. I called them up, placed my order for the Vitamix 300 Series, and it was delivered to my house by the end of the day. I seriously LOVE New York. Where else will a courier service deliver a blender just a few hours after you order it?!
 
I set it up last night and even did a test run with my PB Banana Shake. Ah-mazing. This morning I pulled my tupperware smoothie out of the fridge, added some ice, and started blending!
 
 
I topped mine with hemp hearts, sliced almonds, and goji berries. So creamy and delicious!
 
Look how perfect the size is! Fits just right on our counter under our cabinets.

I've been making smoothies since I was probably 8 years old and never in my life have I used such an awesome blender. I really loved my Ninja and was ready to purchase a new one until I decided to splurge on this, and I'm so glad I did. Remember how I don't like kale? The texture....the hot fuzz? Well, this blends everything so well that it's perfectly creamy, the rough texture is completely eliminated. No little green pieces or anything. Normally I can taste/feel the little ice bits as well - but no longer! I'm honestly shocked at how much of a difference this made. I can't wait to try more recipes and start adding in even more greens since the texture was the main thing holding me back.

Is it weird that I'm more excited about this Vitamix than the dress and two new pairs of shoes I bought yesterday? Probably. I guess this means I'm officially old. Anyway, I'm anxious to hear from anyone who else who is using a Vitamix- and I'm wondering why nobody besides my Mom ever encouraged me to get one!!

Oh and as for the smoothie recipe - this is my best green smoothie recipe to date. Not sure if it was the blender or ingredients, but it was the perfect amount of sweet, berries and almond butter. My fave!

No comments:

Post a Comment