Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Peanut Butter Banana Shake


Maybe you know by now, but I have a serious sweet tooth. I love chocolate, milkshakes, ice cream, pie, cake, and PANCAKES...with chocolate. I allow myself to enjoy all of these things in moderation (except chocolate, I enjoy that at a more than moderate rate), but I try to create healthy alternatives to these sweet treats so that I can enjoy them more frequently.

Lately, we have been obsessed with this peanut butter banana shake. When I'm in a healthy mood, I refer to it as a smoothie. When I'm having a craving for a milkshake (most nights), I call it a shake. 




Here's what you need: (serves 2)
2 ripe bananas (make sure it's ripe! this is what makes it sweet)
1.5 mason jars unsweetened original or vanilla almond milk
3 tablespoons of your favorite nut butter - i like almond butter from trader joe's or peanut butter factory crunchy peanut butter
If your bananas are ripe enough you shouldn't need a sweetener, but if you need to, add 1 tiny drizzle of agave nectar or honey.
5-6 ice cubes
 
And the fun part - TOPPINGS! You don't have to top this with anything because it's super delicious plain. However, if you want to make it more of a treat, here are some toppings I suggest:

*sprinkle of cinnamon
*toasted unsweetened coconut flakes with cinnamon
*whipped cream with drizzle of caramel and honey roasted almond slivers (i can no longer have these almonds in my house because they are too delicious..can't control myself)
*whipped cream with (1/2 tsp each) mini dark chocolate chips

Here's what you do:
Blend!

 
 

  

 


 It's cold, creamy, and peanutbuttery and will cure your craving for a milkshake without the million grams of sugar and calories.  I sometimes start to feel guilty for splurging on it so frequently but then I remind myself...it's 100% healthy!



5 comments:

  1. Hey Kristen, Eric Rabinowitz here to say that not only does this look delicious, but I plan to start making it as soon as possible. I think the only addition I will make is whey protein powder, so I can have it as a guilt-free, post-workout drink - thanks for the great recipe ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric! If you have a chocolate protein powder I bet that would be delicious. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look delicious and I am excited to try it!

    Here's a little banana tip. I buy them when they are on sale and then freeze them for our daily smoothies/shakes. Just peel them, slice them and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Pop in a freezer bag and pull out what you need. It also eliminates the need for ice cubes! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i gotta make this! i looked at peanut butter today at the grocery. then i put it back. bad choice!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl!! This looks amazing!!! I am on a smoothie kick and love all your recipes!!! I can't wait to try them! Thanks and Keep sharing!! XO

    ReplyDelete