Sunday, November 11, 2012

fried & baked chickpea patty

I really, really love chickpeas-- in salads, soups, burgers, patties, hummus, and falafel. Any. Way. I love them! I've made these lil patties or burgers, whatever you want to call them, the past couple weeks for my work lunches. I bring the whole batch to the office which cuts down on lunch making time each morning along with the extra things I need to get me through the day (snacks).

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30-35 minutes (if you have to fry in two batches like I did)
Servings: 6 patties

Here's what you need:
1 can of chickpeas, rinsed
1/4 of a white onion chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
1/4 cup shredded carrots
about 1/4 of a bell pepper chopped (orange please!)
lots of chopped garlic
1 egg
2 tablespoons of flour
3 tablespoons of bread crumbs
Generous amount of curry powder, salt, & pepper

Here's what you do:
Chop vegetables
Smash, smash (the chickpeas)! You can use a fork, food processor, or I find that the bottom of a plastic cup works really well.
Stir vegetables into smashed chickpeas
Beat egg, then add to veggies, along with the spices, flour, and breadcrumbs.
Mix everything together using a wooden spoon or your hands.
Form patties.
Heat oil, medium to low heat.
Fry patties until golden brown or about 5 minutes on each side.
Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.



 







These save really well in the fridge for about a week. I like to heat mine and serve with hummus (i know more chickpeeeeas) and carrots and clementines. You could also eat it like a burger on some kind of delicious bread, but I find the plain patty to be really delicious and filling.

Do you have any good lunch recipes that can be made in advance?

What about other veggie burger type recipes?? I think next time I'm going to add spinach & feta for a Greek twist.

*Most of what I cook is inspired by something or someone else whether it's a recipe that's been around forever, something I find in a magazine, online, or in a blog. I always end up modifying recipes in some way---that's what makes cooking fun, interesting, and challenging. I add what I like, take out what I don't, swap ingredients to make it healthier or tastier, etc. I got the idea for this recipe on this blog, which I've been following for awhile, and is currently one of my top faves.

No comments:

Post a Comment