Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Veggie Scramble

Yesterday as I was looking through some of the recipes I've posted here, I realized that one of my most favorite meals of the day was hardly documented. Breakfast! Now by breakfast, I don't mean brunch. I'm really not much of a brunch girl. I mean....good, ole, early morning feasting. For as long as I can remember, one of my first thoughts of the day is, "What am I going to eat?" followed by "When will I be able to eat?" I'm quite glad that research shows early morning meals boost metabolism and increase weight loss, because they aren't something I've ever been able to do without.

The majority of my getting ready time each day is spent in the kitchen. I whip up some sort of breakfast and then whatever time left is spent beautifying myself. I do wish sleep was less important and that I could go to be earlier at night, get up earlier, etc, but as I said before - my obsession with Breaking Bad followed by Sons of Anarchy, has left fewer hours each night for rest.

Quick and healthy are key for my breakfasts. Here's a healthy scramble that I make for Louis alot, myself less. I am more of a fruit/cereal girl, although sometimes I enjoy a fried egg or omelet. Since Louis is super active most days with the moving company, he needs something with lots of protein and nutrients to stay energized.

Prep & Cooktime: If you are a morning person like me, and move fast even before you have your coffee, this should take you no more than 10 minutes from start to finish.
Servings: I use 3-4 eggs for Louis if there isn't meat in the scramble, for myself I use 1-2 eggs

Here's what you need:
3 eggs
Handful of Spinach
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoons fresh salsa
2 tablespoons cheddar cheese
Salt
Pepper

Here's what you do:
Heat skillet on low heat while you pull out the ingredients
Grease skillet however you like, I use a teaspoon of earth balance butter and spread around
Break eggs into a bowl, and beat using a fork
Pour eggs into skillet and move it around so that they cover the entire thing
Add a pinch of salt and pepper as well as onion
Leave for 1 minute (make your coffee!)
Add spinach and salsa
Begin to scramble with wooden spoon
When eggs are done, add cheese
 
 
 
 
Quick, easy, and delicous. You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand. I made mexican last night and had extra onion and fresh salsa. I pretty much always keep a bag of spinach in the fridge as well as bell pepper (which I didn't put in this particular scramble but I normally do!). I've found that Louis likes to see the cheese so if I use white cheddar he thinks there's no cheese, but if I use orange cheddar, he loves it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment