Thursday, January 10, 2013

Arugula Cous Cous Salad

When you're a working girl like me, or pretty much anyone who isn't a billinaire and doesn't have a servant on hand, it's a lot to prepare breakfasts, lunches, and dinners every day. I just try to do what I can and not stress about it too much. If I'm in the mood and have time to put something together to bring for lunch, I do. This morning while I was making an omelet for Louis, I made this salad and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and fast it was to make. The cous cous seriously takes no time at all, so I literally just chopped and threw all the ingredients into a tupperware. My favorite salad lately is arugula with lemon and fresh parmesan or ricotta, so I made a heartier version of that.
 
Here's what you need:
1 cup Whole Wheat Cous Cous - TJ brand if you have it
Chopped bell pepper (how much is your preference)
Heirloom tomatoes cut in half (how much is your preference)
1 clove garlic chopped finely
1 tablespoon green onion chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parmesan
1/2 lemon
A few handfuls of arugula
Salt and Pep
 
Here's what you do:
Follow box instructions for cous cous. (Mine were boil water, 2 tbs butter and 1/2 tsp salt, remove from heat and add 1 cup cous cous, let sit five minutes then fluff with a fork. SO EASY!)
CC will cool really quickly, once it does add 1/3 of a cup to the bottom of a tupperware (save the rest for 2 more salads during the week!)
Layer bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, and onions
Fill the rest of the tupperware with as much arugula as possible
Top with fresh parmesan, salt, pepper
Squeeze juice from lemon and mix everything up right before eating
 

 
 
I know some people are still hungry after a salad, but this was filling and satisfying. I love the texture the cous cous adds and of course the lemon/parmesan combination is always super delicious. Since I only used 1/3 cup of cous cous I have enough for 2 more salads this week.
 
Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment