Friday, January 18, 2013

Low Carb Zucchini Enchiladas

 
How have I been in the dark about zucchini boats? I swear, on this low carb venture I am constantly discovering new carbohydrate replacements and ideas. I was on Pinterest the other day - which I just started using more frequently - searching healthy recipes, low carb/carb substitutes, etc when I came across zucchini boats. If you're on the site, type it in and check out all those delicious looking meals! I feel like I'm going to be using zucchinis as the base for a lot more of our meals in the future, but here is the first thing that I tried:

Zucchini Enchiladas

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Servings: 12 (each serving is 2 zucchini halves)

Here's what you need:
6 zucchinis
1 pack chicken breasts or chicken breast filets cooked and shredded - make this recipe in advance
1 pack green onions
1 orange or red bell pepper
1 cup spinach
2 cans enchilada sauce, 1 mild, 1 hot
3/4-1 (depends how much you prefer) cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
5 cloves garlic
Salt
Pepper
Optional - avocado, fresh salsa, sour cream for garnish!

Here's what you do:
Heat oven to 350
Boil water in large pot
Cut stems off of zucchinis and then cut in half
Scoop out the middles using a small spoon. (Try scooping from the end that had the stem. The more you are able to scoop out, the larger the boat and the better - but be careful they are fragile!
Put zucchini halves in water and boil for 1 minute
Chop 1/2 cup of the scooped out part of the zucchini (the middles)
Chop and saute green onion, bell pepper, zucchini middles, and garlic
After 5 minutes add chicken, 1 can of enchilada sauce, and spinach
Stir occasionally on low heat for 5 minutes
Grease baking dish using butter or cooking spray
Pour a small amount of enchilada sauce (from the 2nd can) to the bottom of dish, just enough to lightly cover the bottom
Lay each zucchini into dish (I had to separate into two baking dishes)
Spoon chicken, vegetable, sauce mixture into each zucchini boat
Pour remaining can of enchilada sauce over everything
Top each zucchini boat with cheddar cheese
Bake for 25 minutes

Serve with garnish options listed above!



 
 
 
 



This was really filling and delicious without making me feel awful like mexican food sometimes does ( partly because of the carbs, greasiness and cheese but also because I eat too much!). While I had hoped this would be a good weeknight meal, it took a bit longer and was more involved than I anticipated. In the future I'll save this for weekends. Also, I'll most likely cut this recipe in half next time because we had a lot leftover. Normally I find leftovers convenient however the zucchinis become a little soggy by the next day.

**************************************************************************************************
Is everyone excited for the weekend?!!?! I am....not only is it a 3 day weekend for me but it's Louis's birthday! We have some celebrating to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment