Friday, December 7, 2012

Vegetable Beef Stew

If you don't get Everyday Food Magazine by Martha Stewart, make sure you put it on your Christmas wishlist. If you don't celebrate Christmas, then tell your mom, husband, boyfriend, kid, or whoever gets you presents that you NEED this amazing magazine. I always love looking at recipes in magazines, but many times I find that they require a lot of steps - and I lose patience when there are too many ingredients or things that must be done to prepare a meal. Everyday Food has wonderful, short, recipes and I can usually get a couple of ideas from this little gem.
 
I changed a few things in this recipe since we are supposed to be eating healthy (which isn't actually happening but hey I'm doing the best I can during this holiday season!) and avoiding starchy foods and carbs. I added in the smoked paprika and a few other vegetables to replace the potatoes. This is a great recipe to make over the weekend. The prep time is literally 5-10 minutes and then you pop it in the oven for about two hours, adding a few ingredients halfway through. I made this a couple Fridays ago after work, and cleaned up the house and relaxed during the cook time. It's easy, healthy, and perfect for cold, wintery nights.  I hope you enjoy my take on Martha's Beef Stew!
 
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Servings: 4-6 bowls
 
Here's what you need:
1.5 pounds of stew beef
1/4 cup flour
2 14.5 cans diced tomatoes with green chilis
4 large carrots chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
3/4 cup peas
3/4 cup pearl onions cut in half
5-8 cloves garlic chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
 
Here's what you do:
Preheat oven to 375
In a large pot that can go in the oven (I used my new le creuset!), stir flour and beef together until coated
Stir in tomatoes, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and 4 cups of water
Bring to a boil then transfer to oven
After one hour, remove from oven and add carrots, peas, onions, celery, and garlic
Put back into the oven for another 45 minutes
Let sit 5 minutes before serving
 



 

 

 
I was in the mood for a big salad so I had a smaller bowl of stew than I normally have. The one above had tomatoes, cucumbers, thinly sliced raw garlic, avacado, sliced almonds, and fresh parmesan cheese. Louis was working late that night, so I had my dinner on a little tray in front of the television. This recipe was so easy and delicious and like most soups and stews, it saved well and lasted our little family a couple of days.

Well, Louis just left for a short tour so Lucy and I  have the place to ourselves this weekend (unless Dahni decides to hang out!)- which means I have to talk myself out of eating cereal and junk nonstop. It's like when you're parents go out of town and you start eating ice cream out of the container and entire bags of chips---that happens to me when left unsupervised. My body is already full of gross sugar and seriously craving vegetables. Also, we have a cookie swap at work this Monday, so I'll let you know what I end up making for that. Last year my favorite kind was Michelle's oatmeal with cranberry and white chocolate. Fingers crossed that she makes those again.

That's all for now! Have a great weekend, everyone!


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment