Friday, September 28, 2012

snacks and such: chickpea salad & cucumber toast

Since I haven't mentioned this here yet, let it be known that I absolutely hate mayonnaise. I don't care if you can taste it or not, if I find out something has mayo in it?! No way, no how. So, I've revised the below recipe to leave out that awful, creamy gunk. If you eat egg/tuna/chicken salad, I think this might taste similar--only better.

What you need:
1 can of chickpeans, drained/rinsed
1/2 yellow onion
1 stalk of celery
3/4 cup shredded carrots
salt, pepper, &curry powder to taste
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 squirt of spicy/grainy mustard

What you do:
Chop onion and celery
Mash the chickpeas in a bowl using a fork
Add the rest of the vegetables
Stir in yogurt, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard, curry powder, salt and pepper
Let sit for at least an hour

 
I brought this to work for lunch, so I kept it simple and had it on top of toast one day, and as a sandwich another. It'd also be great as a vegetable or cracker dip, if you add vegetables on top, or served over greens. I think next time I'm going to try adding avacado to the mix.

Another easy, healthy lunch to bring to work (if work has a toaster, otherwise make at home using your toaster or oven):
Sliced cucumber served over tofu cream cheese with chopped garlic & toast. Top with salt and pepper. Filling and really delicious.


the other night after grocery shopping i was too tired to make a big dinner (i also might have been dying to watch a few episodes of breaking bad)so we ended up having just a little something. louis had: 2 large leaves of romain, turkey, cheese, cucumber, onion, and a drizzle of dressing. wrap the bottom so it's easier to eat. serve with carrots and hummus. i had: bowl of multigrain puffins, 1/2 banana, and almond milk. cereal is always a treat for me.


These are all great if you are hungry and want something that can be made quickly. They're simple to prepare and in my case, they are easily carted to the fridge at work. I try to bring my lunch as much as possible because if I do, I have a better chance of eating healthy and I also save money!

No comments:

Post a Comment